Friday, March 20, 2009

Someday...

Sometimes we forget how talented, creative, cool, driven, happy, peaceful, and alive we are. We get trapped and fall into the slumps of poor me...the slumps of corporate America, the slumps of trying to get a job period. My husband and I were in that slump, until we un-slumped ourselves. In Dr. Suess, Oh The Places You'll Go, there is a great line about un-slumping yourself.

OH!
THE PLACES YOU’LL GO!
You’ll be on your way up!
You’ll be seeing great sights!
You’ll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights.
You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have the speed.
You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you’ll be the best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
Except when you don’t
Because, sometimes, you won’t.
I’m sorry to say so
but, sadly, it’s true
that hang-ups and bang ups
can happen to you.
You can get all hung up
in a pricklely perch.
And your gang will fly on.
You’ll be left in a Lurch.
You’ll come down from the Lurch
with an unpleasant bump.
And the chances are, then,
you’ll be in a Slump.
And when you’re in a Slump,
you’re not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done.

But fortunate for us, it is possible. We have to remember back when our imaginations flourished. Back when we felt we could take over the world. Back when fear wasn't a part of our vocabulary. Re-remember your dreams, reclaim your voice in the silence of recession, reverse your slump into the world's greatest hump and get over it!


I remember being a preteen. My favorite song was Someday by Mariah Carey. I just knew that I was going to be something big, something special someday! I lost sight of that somewhere between my grandma telling me i couldn't major in interior design because I couldn't get a job and would be waisting my mothers money, and the pressure of the University! But my Someday is still on its way. I am sure of that!

No comments: